Thursday, May 21, 2009

Swarm

So we have had two different swarms of bees in our yard in the last couple weeks. The first one flew away and the second one David and David were able to capture and put into a hive box. It Was all very cool and way exciting to get free bees! We don't think they were our own bees, but we aren't for sure. Our hives seem to have all their bees Abi said after she counted them all. HA HA!!
So this was the first swarm. It landed on the lilac bush.
Here are a few pictures of the swarm that was in the peach tree. My bee keepers are capturing them.

The other cool thing in our yard this spring is a kill deer bird sitting on her eggs. She gets quite crazy if you get too close. I will have to post some pictures if and when they hatch.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

VIRGINIA!!! My mouth is just hanging open!! HOLY COW!!! I cannot believe all of those bees!! And I am so impressed with your David's- and with you to be out there taking pictures!! Were you in full bee keeper gear too?

So how can you tell the difference between those bees and killer bees?

Danelle said...

I am grateful for bees. I really am, but I am even more grateful that they swarmed in YOUR yard, not mine. That's frighteningly disgusting.

Score for you guys. Woohoo! Sort of gives a whole new meaning to the word "freebies" or "free..bees", huh?

Rae said...

I just have to say that I had major heart palpitations reading this blog! I am allergic to bees so I keep a very safe distance from them - although, I do love their honey!!

Chyrisse Ballard said...

well all the other comments expressed my feelings. You guys are awesome and I can't think of anyone better for it to happen to! :) Congratulations on your new bees!

Shelly said...

Wow Virginia! What don't you guys do?? Is it bee swarm season or something because I saw one on the way home from the park the other day and it kind of shocked me. I've never seen anything like that before. I also have to say that the last clip of your youngest slacklining below is hysterical. Never quite got enough balance to take a step:)

Hema and Becky said...

I guess those bees knew that they were in a bee friendly yard. I've never seen them swarm, that was crazy. I can't believe that they just caught them and put them in a bag. Very cool!!

Andrea said...

Can I just say Echo to what Nancy said. You guys are amazing. I just heard someone say that you can get rid of most allergies by eating local honey like 1 tsp a day or something. But I think I would have to go to someone else. I don't think I could grow them.